- Choreographer: George Balanchine
- Music: George & Ira Gershwin
- PBT Performance Date: September 10-13, 2020. Open Air Series utilizing PBT mobile stage erected at PBT studio parking lot, Pittsburgh, PA
Who Cares? (Excerpts) consists of 3 separate short ballets based on 3 different Gershwin songs.
1. Who Cares? – Pas de Deux is based on song “Who Cares?”
2. Who Cares? – Solo #1 is based on song “My One and Only”
3. Who Cares? – Solo #2 is based on song “Liza”
Who Cares? is Balanchine’s tribute to George Gershwin, a project he’d longed to do since his collaboration with Gershwin on the film The Goldwyn Follies in 1937. Choreographed in 1970, the ballet is a series of solos, pas de deux and ensemble pieces set to musical numbers and songs by George and Ira Gershwin. It’s an homage to New York City as well – redolent with the exuberance, intimacy and charm of life in New York City.