Community Youth Scholarship Program
The Community Youth Scholarship program awards scholarships to eligible students to attend Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School for ballet education and training Students are selected at an annual audition.
PBT is committed to increasing equity, access and opportunity in the art of ballet. We strive to make PBT, PBT School and the art form more widely accessible to students and their families throughout the Pittsburgh region. Our Community Youth Scholarship program is need-based, supporting training for talented students who demonstrate financial eligibility.
2023/24 CYS Audition: PBT Studios, May 18, 2023, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
The CYS scholarship covers classes during the 2023 / 24 school year. Classes begin in September 2023.
Register for the audition!
Deadline to register: Monday, May 15, 2023.
Audition FAQs: Click here.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBT’s Bridges program is a training program that prepares specially selected students for the CYS audition, scheduled for Spring 2023. Click here for more information!
Who is the scholarship for? Children ages 5 to 13 years old. Students should have:
- talent for training in ballet and other dance styles
- desire, commitment and discipline to study dance in a training academy
- ability to get to and from classes on a regular basis
- for students 10 – 13 years of age, two years of dance experience is required (any style)
How do I determine if my child is eligible/demonstrates financial need?
For your child to be eligible for the scholarship, your family must be eligible for one of the programs listed below or must meet 135% of the income level eligibility for free and reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program.
PBT Income Level Eligibility for 2023/2024 (USDA Guidelines plus 35%)
|Household Size||Income Limit|
Caregivers must provide proof of income eligibility prior to the audition. Acceptable documentation includes:
- federal income tax return for the previous year (pages 1 and 2 only)
- Confirmation of eligibility for one of the following:
- Section 8 Housing
- Foster Care
- Medical Assistance from PA
- Cash Assistance from PA
- Assistance from LIHEAP 1 or 2
- Refugee/Immigrant Assistance
- Participant in Homeless/Domestic Violence program/s.
- Current unemployment eligibility
- Eligibility for free and reduced price meals at your child’s school (does not apply to Pittsburgh Public Schools)
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Make a Difference
Established in 2013 by the PBT Education team and PBT School, the Community Youth Scholarship program works to expose children to dance at an early age by providing need-based scholarships for young students with talent and drive. Scholarships focus on students from ages 5 to 13 – a pivotal stage to begin ballet training. PBT has awarded 76 scholarships to young dancers since the program’s inception.
This program is made possible by an endowment fund from the Ladies Hospital Aid Society, among others, and by many individual donors who value the power of dance to enrich the lives of children. If you’re inspired to support this important cause, please visit us at the link below to make a difference today.