Designed for students with autism spectrum disorders or other sensory sensitivities.
We emphasize creative movement principles and modified ballet technique in a welcoming and structured studio environment. Classes are taught by PBT School instructors experienced in adaptive dance with limited space available. Live music/percussion accompanies each class. Caregivers may observe and/or participate in classes if they wish.
Sensory-Friendly Performances and Workshops
Adaptive Dance Workshop at Flagstaff Hill (In-person)
Saturday, May 22 at 4 p.m
Join Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre and Jumping Jack Theater for an in-person adaptive dance workshop. Inspired by Jumping Jack Theater’s Starshine! production, this free 30-minute workshop will emphasize creative movement for students age 6 and up. Look for the Jumping Jack trailer at Flagstaff Hill. Pre-registration for this event is encouraged. Sign up below.
Jumping Jack Theater’s Starshine! mobile production trailer will also be on-site and accessible to audience members May 20-23.
Questions or other accommodations, please email email@example.com
Fridays | April 9 – May 28, 2021 | 4:30-5pm
Cost: $5/class or $35 for all 8
To register: Click on the link below. You will be asked to create an account in our registration system. Then go to the date of the class you’d like to attend and select the class. If this is your first class you’ll be able to select the complimentary class option.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Try out one of our classes from Facebook Live here!
It's time for Adaptive Dance on Facebook Live! Students of all ages and abilities can explore creative movement principles and simplified ballet technique in ways that promote body awareness, coordination and communication for every type of learner.
Posted by Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre on Saturday, April 11, 2020
What to Expect for Virtual Classes
- Classes will use elements of ballet and creative movement that focus on patterning, proprioception and artistic discovery.
- Once class begins, all students will be muted to better hear the instructor.
- You have the ability to “pin” the instructor in Zoom to better see their screen. If you have questions about this, ask the instructor at the beginning of class
- It may be helpful to have a chair, table, or barre nearby if the student needs any help with balance.
- Students are welcome to sit if they need a break. They may exit the room with supervision if they need a break from class.
- Students should wear athletic wear, dance attire or any clothing that allows easy movement. Socks or dance slippers are recommended.
For More Information
Take a look at our pre-visit story and visual vocabulary to get ready for class at PBT!
- Pre-Visit Story: Taking a Dance Class at PBT!
- Visual Vocabulary for PBT Adaptive Dance Class
- Adaptive Dance Teacher: Jamie Murphy; Assistant: Julia Adams
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com or 412-454-9128.