A message from PBT School on COVID-19
March 30, 2020:
- While the PBT building will remain closed through May 3, 2020, with the plan to resume classes on Monday, May 4, 2020, the PBT School faculty are dedicated to bringing online educational content and virtual classes to students of every level in the School. New class content – including live Zoom classes, teacher demonstration videos and enhanced learning materials – will be uploaded at the beginning of each week. All families should have received an email from PBT School regarding instructions for accessing the online educational content and classes. Please contact the School at pbtschool@pittsburghballet.
org if you have any questions or concerns.
March 20, 2020:
The safety, health and well-being of our community members, instructors, students and employees remains the highest priorities for PBT School. Effective today, we have extended the cancellation of all classes in all Divisions through May 3, 2020. In-person classes are currently planned to resume on Monday, May 4, 2020. The PBT campus remains closed until further notice. PBT School staff continue working remotely and are available via email to address any questions or concerns.
Any additional changes will be posted with as much advance notice as possible.
March 18, 2020:
- With the safety and wellbeing of our entire PBT family in mind, PBT School has made the decision to adhere to recommendations for public safety and close PBT’s building until further notice. Staff and faculty are now working remotely.
- Additionally, we have extended the cancellation of classes through Sunday, April 12 for Level 8 and Graduate students. All PBT School classes are now cancelled though this date and until further notice.
March 16, 2020:
- Following Pennsylvania Governor Wolf’s mandate late afternoon Friday, March 13 to close all schools statewide for two weeks, PBT School has cancelled ALL remaining classes for the next two weeks, effective March 16. During this time, no classes will be held for Level 8 or Grads and students should not report to PBT for any reason. The PBT building will be closed.
There is the potential to hold some Level 8 and Grad classes one week before spring break, though attendance would not be mandatory. PBT School will await further information and guidance before making that decision, which will be communicated with as much advance notice as possible. Please note that PBT School faculty members are currently developing alternative educational content for eventual electronic distribution.
- PBT’s 50th Anniversary Festival Gala, scheduled to take place on April 4, 2020, has been impacted by the closure of Stage AE. This event and all rehearsals related to it are currently suspended.
We thank you for your continued patience and understanding of PBT’s decisions as we receive information and navigate through this unprecedented situation.
March 13, 2020: The safety, health and well-being of our community members, instructors, students and employees are the highest priorities for Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre (PBT). PBT has been actively monitoring the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation, and has been following the Allegheny County Health Department’s recommendations. We have also been monitoring what other organizations and schools are doing around the region and nation. Although there are currently no confirmed cases of the virus in Allegheny County, we are aware of the probability that that may change soon. PBT is taking proactive precautions to prevent the spread of the virus, especially to those within our PBT family. To that end, PBT has made a very difficult decision to cancel most PBT School and Community Division classes effective Saturday, March 14 through Sunday, April 12.
Class Cancellation applies to:
– Levels Grown-Up & Me, Pre-Ballet 2-6, Pre-Ballet Boys and Ballet Foundations
– Levels Preparatory through Level 7
– All Community Division Classes
– Private Instruction
*Classes for students in Levels 8 and the Graduate program will continue on a modified (but not mandatory) schedule beginning Saturday, March 14 until PBT School’s scheduled spring break, which begins after classes on Friday, April 3. (Level 8 classes on Saturday, March 14 will take place as regularly scheduled.) School events including Family Observation Day are canceled. The Choreographic Showcase may be rescheduled for a later date.
At the present time, we anticipate classes will resume on April 13. However, all PBT activities are subject to change based on any new information or guidance we receive. Any further changes will be communicated with as much advance notice as possible.
This decision has been made in an abundance of caution and in an attempt to do our part to halt the spread of COVID-19 throughout the Greater Pittsburgh community. We are so grateful to all of our PBT Community for their support of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre and our various programs. We look forward to seeing you back in the studios when classes resume. PBT will continue to monitor the situation closely. As new information becomes available, PBT is committed to communicating any changes on our website and through social media as soon as we are able.
For more information about COVID-19 and recommended precautions, please visit www.cdc.gov/nCov.
Thank you for patience and understanding of PBT’s decisions as we navigate through this unprecedented situation. We look forward to seeing you back in the studios soon!