“Teaching male technique and pas de deux at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre gives me the opportunity to pass on the finer points of this specific ballet technique that was taught to me by so many tremendous teachers. I love working individually with these young dancers to give them greater confidence, not only in their steps towards a professional career, but also in learning invaluable life skills such as trust, teamwork and discipline.”
– Christopher Budzynski, Head of Men’s Programming
The Male specific programming at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School trains the next generation of professional dancers with a career-track curriculum inspired by the realities of working hand-in-hand with a professional ballet company.
The men’s program at PBT School is one of the nation’s finest for dance education and training:
- Train in a classically based curriculum supervised by School Director Marjorie Grundvig and Head of Men’s Programming Christopher Budzynski
- Weekly Classes with PBT Repetiteurs
- Wide range of regularly scheduled conditioning classes from Pilates to TRX
- Mentorship from PBT company dancers
- Extensive Pas de Deux training in both classical and contemporary choreography
- Faculty members bring perspectives from a diverse range of professional dance companies and work closely with Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s Artistic Director to instill a style that reflects their vision and adapts well to the demands of a professional ballet company.
Full scholarships are available for men’s training, including
- Year-round tuition from September – May
- 2-week Company Experience Workshop (Tuition and Housing)
- 5-week Intensive Summer Program (Tuition and Housing)
- Byham House scholarships available for High School men
In addition to the rigorous dance training described below, all Pre-Professional students take part in music theory classes, seminars and workshops.
Graduate students elevate their training and bolster their resumes with repertoire ranging from Serenade and Swan Lake to original new choreography, including their own. Graduate students may be called to rehearse with Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre for mainstage company productions, gaining valuable experience working alongside professional dancers. When not working with the company the students training focuses on the technique, variations, men’s class pas de deux, repertoire, TRX, conditioning, contemporary dance, modern, jazz and Pilates mat classes.
Each year, many Graduate students are offered contracts and apprenticeships with prestigious companies around the country, and around 70% of PBT’s current company dancers are PBT School alumni.
I’m so grateful for the mentorship and encouragement from male company dancers. When I first moved to Pittsburgh as a high school full-time student living at the Byham House, I didn’t know anyone besides my sister. The PBT dancers were so welcoming and have offered invaluable help with my technique and performances. – 2022 Graduate Student
Level 8 provides our high school-aged students with immersive training that prepares them to enter the Graduate program. Students in this level learn advanced repertoire with the opportunity to develop their own choreography. The curriculum includes ballet technique, variations, men’s class, pas de deux, repertoire, TRX, conditioning, contemporary dance, modern, jazz and pilates mat classes.
I chose to dance at PBT because the moment I stepped into the studio I felt a part of something larger than myself. Whether it was the teacher’s incredible dedication and unparalleled training, beautiful facility, or welcoming atmosphere, I knew that this needed to become my new home for dance. -Current Level 8 Student
PBT School is authorized to issue M-1 student visas. Students must register with PBT School before beginning the application process. Please contact email@example.com for student visa inquiries and information.