Fireside Nutcracker Virtual Student Matinee Experience
The Fireside Nutcracker virtual student matinee experience is no longer available, but our educator resources are! Please take advantage of these materials and let us know if you have any questions!
Recorded Educational Programs
- InStep – Join us for a lecture/demonstration about ballet movement and training with Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School students. Appropriate for older elementary, middle school and high school students.
- Dance the Story – An up-on-your-feet program that introduces basic ballet steps and movement concepts through the ballet’s story and characters. Appropriate for elementary school students.
- Backstage: The PBT Costume Shop – Learn about making ballet costumes from our costume shop artists (not specific to Fireside Nutcracker). Appropriate for all grades.
- Backstage: Meet the characters! Hear from PBT dancers about their characters in Fireside Nutcracker. Appropriate for all grades.
Instructional Resources and Materials
- Guide to the Ballet: See the 2019 Teacher Resource Guide, which includes basic information on the ballet and PBT’s version of The Nutcracker. (Does not include information about filming the production for this year’s broadcast.)
- Fireside Nutcracker Powerpoint: See the story of the ballet illustrated with PBT photos. This is a quick and easy way to preview the ballet for your class.
- Fireside Nutcracker Story: See the narration of the ballet. Students may read the three-page story on their own, or it may be used for additional activities.
- Content Area Connections: See below for ideas to connect the ballet to your curriculum (adaptable as needed to meet the needs of your students).
- Arts and Humanities Activity Ideas (writing prompts and more!)
- Music Activities
- Explore the Celesta
- How Can Music Help Tell the Story of the Ballet?
- Reinterpreting Music (listen to two versions of The Nutcracker Suite)
- Choreography Activities
- Five Basic Positions of Ballet
- Explore Ballet Mime
- Analyze the “Sugar Plum Fairy Pas de Deux”
- Hartwood Acres Holiday Video: Join a tour of Hartwood Acres Mansion, the setting of Act 1 of Fireside Nutcracker. This short video (filmed in 2018 by Allegheny County to promote holiday tours at the mansion) is an easy way to introduce students to the Stahlbaums’ home in Fireside Nutcracker!
Just for Fun!
- Coloring Pages: The Nutcracker, Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier, Marie, Marie and the Nephew (a coloring page generator/website may be useful for virtual coloring!)
- Word Search
Familiarize your students with the score of the ballet with these links to musical excerpts from the ballet (and see Instructional Materials for Music Activity Ideas)