Facebook: Joanna Schmidt
Born in Eustis, FL
Grew up in Mount Dora, FL
Central Florida Ballet School
Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre Graduate Program
Joined PBT as an Apprentice in 2012
Promoted to Corps de Ballet in 2013
Promoted to Soloist in 2018
- 1st Flash (Jormo Elo)
- The Concert (Jerome Robbins)
- Don Quixote (Marius Petipa – “Cupid”)
- Dupuis le Jour (Gemma Bond)
- The Nutcracker (Terrence S. Orr – “Sugar Plum Fairy”)
- Peter Pan (Jorden Morris – “Tinkerbell”)
- Petite Mort (Jiri Kylian)
- Rubies (George Balanchine ©The George BalanchineTrust)
- The Sleeping Beauty (Marius Petipa – “Aurora”)
3rd place at Youth America Grand Prix (YAGP)
- Summer Intensives with The School at Jacob’s Pillow, Bolshoi Academy and Miami City Ballet School
- Choreographed works for PBT, PBT School and Confluence Ballet
What has been your favorite role?
Dancing the principal role in Rubies because it helped me be more daring onstage, less afraid to take risks or throw myself with abandon!
Who would play you in a movie?
What’s the most memorable day you’ve ever had?
This is hard to choose! One day I will never forget is the first time I went to a freshwater spring in Florida. We went to Alexander Springs and spent the whole day there, swimming and enjoying the natural beauty. I loved it so much that when I went to sleep that night, I dreamt that I was in a desert, where I tore through the sand and discovered a massive spring underneath. So, I continued swimming all night in my dreams. I was probably around 8 years old.